» Projects & Events
» Resources & Links
» Current Newsletter
» Membership App
|Pay Dues Online!
|Pay by credit card or use your PayPal account.
Tips from the Webmaster!
When are Passwords too secure?
When there is an emergency and no one knows them! Be sure to give someone you trust a list of your User Id's and Passwords in case of emergency.
Did You Know?
If you registered your domains with Network Solutions, they are prepared to honor last wills and testaments. Your executor will have no problems transferring domain names into your heirs names, so be sure to include them in your will.
New/Intermediate User Special Interest Group (SIG)
Remember back when you had just the 1 computer that every member of the household had to share? Things have surely changed! These days you could have multiple pc's, laptops, netbooks, tablets, smart phones, smart TV's, set top boxes, ... Trying to stay in touch with friends and family scattered across the globe. Online shopping, banking, trading, and even healthcare management while trying to stay secure. And you thought that one computer was daunting. Well, that's where the New/Intermediate User SIG comes into play. No one person can figure it all out, but collectively we can cut the digital beast down to size. We share our experiences learned over the "years of tears" to enable each of us to more fully take advantage of our digital devices.
Everyone is encouraged to email questions in advance to email@example.com or post on . This gives Ray a chance to do a little research.
Wednesday, July 9, 2014 6:30 - 8:30 p.m.
Location: Congregation Gates of Prayer
4000 West Esplanade Av, Metairie, LA 70002 (For Android and iOS users )
**** 1/4 mile east of East Jefferson General Hospital at Richland St; park & enter at rear ****
July 2014 General Membership Meeting
FIELDTRIP!! - Tour of Jefferson Parish Crime Laboratory
On Wednesday, July 2, 2014 the New Orleans Personal Computer Club will take a walking tour of the Jefferson Parish Crime Laboratory at 1233 Westbank Expressway, Bldg G in Harvey. This is an excellent chance to see how this relatively new facility for law enforcement in Jefferson Parish is run. The tour will show their operations, get a peek into different types of investigations, and see the emergency rescue plans for different scenarios. For those of you who are fans of the CSI shows on television, this is real life Crime Scene Investigations.
This tour will start promptly at 6:00 pm and run through 9:00 pm. Don't be late as this promises to be a very different and interesting meeting.... more and to rsvp
Wednesday, July 2, 2014, 6:00 - 9:00 p.m.
JUST FOR THIS MEETING, THE LOCATION HAS BEEN CHANGED!
Please don't show up at Congregation Gates of Prayer for this general membership meeting. We won't be there; you'll be all alone and missing out on a pretty cool event. We, on the other-hand, will be touring the Jefferson Parish Crime Laboratory and we will miss you, but not till the tour is over.
1233 Westbank Expressway, Bldg G
Harvey, LA 70058
Here is a link to a map and directions to help you find your way.
You'll find this link cool if you have on your smartphone.
Finally, if you're the type to key in the coordinates into your trusty GPS device, 29.907378, -90.063379 are the lat and long you'll want to put you at the gate.
Directions to Jefferson Parish Crime Laboratory
The gate on 12th St is the only gate that will be open; the entrances on 8th St are automated security-badge-required which we will not be able to use, and we should also not use the entrance from Westbank Expressway which has a guard shack.
- Exit the Westbank Expressway at Manhattan Blvd and go North
- Turn right on 8th St, the first intersection just past the Best Buy store, and go about three blocks
- Turn right onto Dolhonde St for a half block
- Turn right onto 12th St and go through the open gate
- There will be plenty of open parking to the right
- The Crime Lab building is four stories tall and has a big concrete sign in front of it facing the parking lot
- Go into the building and enter the classroom on the first floor; it is the only room to go into. Our walking tour will be through this building only, visiting the different areas on each of the floors
Future General Membership Meetings
- January 2014
- Computers at the Airport
- February 2014
- How Technology is Affecting the News Business
- March 2014
- Hear From an FBI Special Agent and an FBI Intelligence Analyst
- April 2014
- 10 Important Uses for NOLA.com That You Probably Did Not Know About
- May 2014
- Home and Business Security -- And Remote Access to Your Devices
- June 2014
- Data mining: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
- July 2014
- Tour of Jefferson Parish Crime Laboratory
- August 2014
- September 2014
- October 2014
- November 2014
- December 2014
- Induction of Officers
- January 2013
- Louisiana's crime expert -- Our own Bones/CSI expert
- February 2013
- 3D Printing
- March 2013
- Windows 8
- Windows 8 Common Shortcuts
- Peek Inside Windows 8
- April 2013
- Clash of the Titans -- Androids vs. iPhones
- May 2013
- Improve Your Online Shopping
- June 2013
- Google, Google, Google
- July 2013
- Alternatives to Landline Telephone Providers
- August 2013
- Windows 8 Potpourri
- September 2013
- New Media vs. Old Media
- October 2013
- How to Create Instructional Screencasts and, If You Want, Put Them on YouTube
- November 2013
How Lawyers Find and Use Social Media Evidence In Divorces and Other Legal Cases
- December 2013
- Induction of Officers
How to Watch Great Lectures and Take Free Courses Online
- January 2012
- 60 Tips in 60+ Minutes - Part II
- February 2012
- Alternatives to Pay Television
- March 2012
- Chad Cox, The Bad Guys Don't Knock When They Sneak Into Your Computer
- April 2012
- Robert Gordon, You Are Never Too Old To Climb the Family Tree
- May 2012
- How An Attorney Uses Technology In Trial Preparation and In Courtrooms
- June 2012
- SOPA and PIPA and CISPA, Oh My!
- July 2012
- Selling on ebay - Do All of the Work Yourself or Use a Professional
- August 2012
- Learn From A Google Rep About The Brand New Google Apps -- and the Old Ones Too
- September 2012
- Meeting Cancelled Due to Isaac
- October 2012
- How The V.A. Is Using Computers To Help Cure PTSD
- November 2012
More Great Google Goodies
- December 2012
- Induction of Officers
The World's First Supercomputer - Your Brain
- January 2011
- Lydia Lourbacos, Cyber Ruggedize You and Your Computer
- February 2011
- Allen Square, Informational Tour of the Advances in the City's Technology Infrastructure
- March 2011
- Greg Czmbor, Technology Tours - Extraordinary Uses for Everyday Technology
- April 2011
- Newell Normand, Jefferson Parish Sheriff -- How the Sheriff's Office Uses Computers
- May 2011
- Digital Photography -- A Comparison of Free Picasa and Fee Adobe Photo Elements
- June 2011
- Hurricane Prep -- How to protect your family, your property and your computers
- July 2011
- Electronic Pickpockets Are Right Behind You
- August 2011
- New Technology in the Jefferson Parish Crime Labs
- September 2011
- Adobe� Acrobat� Is Not A Circus Performer
- October 2011
- Mobile Phones, Tablets, 4G and 4G LTE, Apps, and Xmas Goodies
- November 2011
- The Eyes Have It - Dr. Ginny Kullman
- December 2011
- 60 Tips in 60+ Minutes - Part I
|More Past Meetings
PO Box 8364
Metairie, Louisiana 70011
Club Hotline: (504) 222-2493
Once in a while,
FREE actually means FREE!
As ordered by the FTC, you can get one free copy of your credit report per year at AnnualCreditReport.com
Free Computer Books
A free collection from all over the world
MyHeritage Ltd. offers a full featured Family Tree Builder. It's everything you would expect from high priced software!
And you can start your research here.
The LAGenWeb Project is freely available to all.
Free File Home
Free Federal Online Filing
If your Adjusted Gross Income is $57,000 or less in 2013, you can use Free File to prepare your taxes online beginning in mid-January 2014 at the IRS website.
With Free File, you can get a fast refund, often in 10 days or less with Direct Deposit.
Filed an Extension this year? You can still use Free File to do your 2012 federal tax return through October 15, 2013.
LibreOffice is the power-packed free, libre and open source personal productivity suite for Windows, Macintosh and GNU/Linux, that gives you six feature-rich applications for all your document production and data processing needs: Writer, Calc, Impress, Draw, Math and Base.
Handy utility to print or save a list of files located in any folder. Right-click any folder in Windows Explorer and select "PrintFolder" in the popup menu.
A program designed to remove or uninstall a specific list unwanted software in an unattended fashion. It can be used to clean off most of the annoying software that is typically shipped with newer PCs.
Recommend NOPCC Membership to a Friend!
|Privacy Info: We DO NOT store your name, your email, your friends name, or your friends email in any form. It is ONLY used to generate an email message.